Saturday, July 13, 2013

Education in the Eyes of Women

"Dear friends, on 9 October 2012, the Taliban shot me on the left side of my forehead. They shot my friends, too. They thought that the bullets would silence us, but they failed. And out of that silence came thousands of voices. The terrorists thought they would change my aims and stop my ambitions. But nothing changed in my life except this: weakness, fear and hopelessness died. Strength, power and courage was born. I am the same Malala. My ambitions are the same. My hopes are the same. And my dreams are the same. Dear sisters and brothers, I am not against anyone. Neither am I here to speak in terms of personal revenge against the Taliban or any other terrorist group. I am here to speak for the right of education for every child. I want education for the sons and daughters of the Taliban and all the terrorists and extremists. I do not even hate the Talib who shot me.
Even if there was a gun in my hand and he was standing in front of me, I would not shoot him. This is the compassion I have learned from Mohamed, the prophet of mercy, Jesus Christ and Lord Buddha. This the legacy of change I have inherited from Martin Luther King, Nelson Mandela and Mohammed Ali Jinnah."

- Malala Yousefzai

The message that was delivered today to the world should inspire us all.  After a long struggle against the Talaban, Malala fully recovered from her wounds and has gratefully returned to speak of the rights of everyone,especially women. 

I can not emphasize enough the power of this message as many of us have the privilege to educate ourselves and especially our daughters but do not take advantage of that. Growing up from an environment that didn't value  education,  I've learned that regardless of the criticism, education was  always prioritized. My story to the world isn't special like Malala's because I was privileged to have my brothers who have fought for my education even if they were criticized. I believe that many of us should look at Malala. We should admire her. She has reminds us  not to take the smallest things(for many) for granted.  

Even in the year 2013, we still live in a time where a woman's education isn't valued as much. As one of my family members would say to diminish the value of my studies," you'll husband will need you in kitchen. There is no need for an education. " Also with criticism and sarcasm," Where are you gonna hang your diploma? In the kitchen?"  You do not understand the damage it does to our daughters when one of the only things she'll have as form of protection is her education. Education will teach her to be independent, to raise her children, to educate them. It will teach her to plant in the world seeds of hope and change.  As Malala said," one child, one teacher, one book  and one pen can change the world."  

I've came across people who do not value education simply because they want to belittle their women. They want women to be inferior to them so that they take control. I tell them that this is not your right. It is not your right to put a woman in a box where she is not allowed to speak her mind freely. It isn't your say. 

When the Quran came down to Prophet Muhamamd, one of the first words Angel Gabriel said to the prophet, " Read! In the name of your Lord who created: 96:2 He created man from a clinging form. 96:3 Read! Your Lord Is the Most Bountiful One." There was no emphasis on gender.  God did not put a women under you to control her nor did he write you both for each other to abuse her. He gave you a pearl that you need to love and respect-hold with kindness. Allah could have created an animal who would have obeyed you  regardless. He could have created an animal that would bow down to you. He chose to create a woman from you so that you protect her. She was created from you.  Even if you do not love her as the verse says," On the contrary live with them on a footing of kindness and equity. If you take a dislike to them, it may be that you dislike something and Allah will bring about through it a great deal of good. (4:19)  Allah has even given her rights even if you do not love her.  He ordered you to respect her numerously in the Quran and Hadith.

 I'm saddened that hope was given to Malala by people who do not hold the same book Muslims do, especially when the Quran and Hadith have both greatly emphasized the power of education for both genders.  I'm saddened because Islam has protected our rights-our rights of education, inheritance and especially our right to be respected regardless of the circumstance, but some of our men are acting on a culture that doesn't define them or the Islamic values-they are forgetting that a woman's education is equivalent to tons of pearls. 

No comments:

Post a Comment